17.9.14

Ode to Snakes

WARNING: This post contains pictures of snakes

Way back when I started this blog (before I fell off the wagon and stopped posting) I mentioned that I was going to Costa Rica to do some research. It was research in the field of Ecology, and I was there for two summers while I was at university, the first working on someone else's project, and the second working on my own.

I love snakes. I love finding them, identifying them, learning about their physiology, and listing the ones I've seen in the wild. I consider them to be beautiful rather than creepy, fascinating rather than frightening. And both summers in Costa Rica were dedicated to finding them.

So here are some photos. Please note that I don't encourage people to handle snakes unless they've received professional training, some of these snakes are venomous (2 to be exact) and those ones were not handled at all. I would not under any circumstances describe myself to be an expert with snakes, and I don't encourage others to assume that about themselves either.

Corallus annulatus

Sibon nebulatus

Bothreichis schlegelii (venomous)

Sibon longifrenis

Imantodes inornatus

Tantilla supracincta (coral snake mimic)

Oxyrhopus petolarius (coral snake mimic)

Porthidium nasutum (venomous)

Note: use the photos as you like, but please give credit